Saturday, September 15, 2012

Finally some glaze results from the work I have been posting about all summer.  It took me a week to get around to taking pictures, because school started this week.

As I was taking pictures I decided to test out the wares and see how well they worked.  This is what I had for lunch today.  It felt distinctly middle eastern.


Some of the glazes came out better than others.  The blue green seems to have done the best and the lavender the worst.  I will need to use them on bisque that has been fired to the proper temperature before I decide which glazes I like best.

The teapot looks good from the side, but it had some glaze crawling issues and pouring issues.  It would seem that the spout is too long.

This is how my first mishima attempt came out, I think I like the second one I did better (see below).

I think this set is my favorite from what came out of the kiln.  I wish sgrafitto didn't take so  long.

The preferred mishima set.

I'm trying to decide if I should present this set like this...

...or mixed like this.  I think the first option might be a bit visually overwhelming.

The color on the image below is a bit truer to life.

This set seems more fun with the mixed colors.  Hopefully I will have the time soon to actually set up my lights and back drop and take proper photos of this work.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

I am finally doing the glaze firing for all of the work I did this summer.  It has taken me more time than planned.  The bisque firing of this work was way over fired.  This was entirely my fault because I was more than a little distracted that day.  I woke up early to start doing kiln turn ups.  After I checked on the kiln I noticed that my cat hadn't come to greet me, which was highly unusual for the early morning, so I went looking for him.  I found him hiding and not looking quite right.  I discovered that he was having trouble using his back legs.  I have known that he has a heart murmur for a number of years and had been warned that he could get blood clots which could damage his arteries.  He had a blood clot last spring that while painful he recovered from almost immediately.  This time has not been the same.  We have been wondering whether he will make it through this or not, some days seem more promising than others.  He seems to be getting slightly better, but he still has trouble walking and isn't using his litter box.  This means I have spent the last week mopping and doing laundry all day (with my husband doing an equal share of the work).  Anyhow, all of this emotional roller coaster riding has been a little distracting from the studio work.  However, I did manage to get everything glazed and the kiln is firing away as I write.  Hopefully I will not get distracted again today.

Mngwa