Monday, August 27, 2012

Salt shakers, the very last castings to be done before I load the bisque kiln, which is good because I only have enough slip left to make tiny things.

This is a teapot that I have been working on.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the lid.  The lid and the pot itself are inverted bowls.  I made the spout and handle molds specifically to make the teapot and I'm quite happy with them.  You may notice that I decided the spout would also make a good salt shaker.

This is one of the surface design options I came up with for the Arrowmont set.  It was inspired by a shirt my husband was wearing he other day.

This is another surface option for the same set.  I doubt I will replicate it often, but it is something I have done on other pots and enjoyed.  It took me about 6 hours to do a set of four (there is a pitcher to go with that already made it's way into the kiln).

Lastly I am contemplating what to do with these forms.  I don't want to get overly complex.  I am tempted to leave them undecorated with simple one color glazing, but minimalism hasn't ever been part of my work before.  It feels like I am imitating someone else to have minimalist pots.  The stripe pattern is an attempt at compromise between the 2.  The stripes go around the bottom as well.

2 comments:

  1. Your work is so inspiring and wonderful! You're one of my summer role models. I love, love, love those salt shakers.

    As far as the last form with the lines, why don't you finish them off with a decal? That would definitely eliminate more work for you (although it is an extra firing) and it would add your "finesse" to it. :)

    Can't wait to see the finished products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or perhaps adding a slightly heavier weight to the 'third' line on the last image? this would (to me) add a bit more of a progression from the broken line to the last 'heavier' line.
    As always, I'm in awe of your work! Keep going sister of mine!

    ReplyDelete