Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Art to Table

After spending June working on making molds, I spent July making work for the show Art to Table that will be opening this Friday August 8 at Whit's End Gallery here in Savannah.  The incredible Melissa Meyers organized the show as part of her thesis for her masters program at SCAD.  The show will include the work of Lisa Alvarez Bradley, moi, Mitzi Davis, and Rebecca Sipper.  The show is only up for one week, but there is an excellent website to go with the show arttotable.com where there is a sales gallery,and information about the artists and the project.

You may recognize this platter from a previous post.  I started this piece in March, and just finished it last week.  The other platter that was included in the same previous post did not make it through the firing process.  I'm not really sad about that, there were some design flaws with its construction.
This is the platter I made to replace the flawed one, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
I also made some more of these pieces.  I really love carving these images, but they take a ridiculously long time to make.  I think I spent 12 hours on the pitcher alone.
I made a mug like the one in the middle last winter, and fell in love with it, so I decided to make some more work to go with it.  I really like the inlay process, I'm not as excited by the ones I did with sgraffito decoration, but I think it is fun to mix the 2.

Mold making madness

I spent the month of June immersed in the process of making molds and slip casting.  I was commissioned by the Palmetto Animal League to make 15" slip cast cats and dogs for a fundraiser they do annually.  The finished pieces will be decorated by local artists and auctioned off this fall.  The project was quite a challenge (mostly because of the short turn around time).  These were the largest molds I have ever made.  By the end of June I had much better upper body strength than I have in a long timeI had a lot of fun doing this.  Thank you to Marilynn Glacken for finding me for this project.

The prototype for the the cat with the original model.

The prototype for the dog with the original model.

The finished cats and dogs, all 24 of them.
I made an extra cat so I have decided to decorate it and donate it for the auction.  I am still working on this, the painting is done in cobalt so it will eventually be blue.  I'm still deciding what I want to do with the eyes, I had originally planned to make them realistic looking cat eyes, but now I am thinking it might be nice to stick with the blue.

I made a video for my students while I was making the mold.  I am still working on the video, it is a bit too long now.  I got some great suggestions for improving it from Mitzi Davis.  Thank you Mitzi!