Over the holiday break I made some good progress on a project I have been intending to complete since we purchased our new house.  The entryway to our house, which is directly outside of my studio, is carpeted.  This is silly for the design of a house, but particularly for a ceramic artist.  I have decided that the floor needs to be tiled to be more practical.  But of course, I can't just go out and buy tiles and be happy with them, so I had to design a tile entryway.

My original intention was to hand-make all of the tiles and then decorate them.  After doing the math I discovered it would be more cost effective to purchase finished commercial and add glaze decoration on top.  I'm using the Mayco Stroke and Coat glazes, which seem to be able to stick well on a glossy glaze surface. This is my test tile to make sure it would work.  Now I just have to glaze all the rest of them.
The overall design.  It actually took me close to a month just to draw this out.  Hopefully I will have a tile floor by summer.

Comments

Post a Comment